Lenovo IBM System x3550 M5
Designed in a compact, versatile 1U two-socket rack server, the Lenovo System x3550 M5 (E5-2600 v4) server (Machine Type 8869) fuels almost any workload in the software-defined data center from infrastructure to high-performance computing (HPC) to cloud or big data with leadership security, efficiency, and reliability features. With support for Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family and faster, energy-efficient TruDDR4 memory, the System x3550 M5 delivers exceptional performance. Flexible and scalable internal storage configurations include up to 12x 2.5-inch or 4x 3.5-inch drives with a wide selection of drive sizes and types.
Suggested use: Database, virtualization and cloud computing, infrastructure security, systems management, enterprise applications, collaboration/email, streaming media, web, and HPC.
The following figure shows the System x3550 M5.
Figure 1. Lenovo System x3550 M5
Did you know?
The System x3550 M5 incorporates energy smart features for minimized costs and efficient performance. Dual fan zones support operation in up to 40°C environments. 80 PLUS Titanium power supply units (PSUs) can deliver 96% efficiency at 50% load.
The System x3550 M5 has outstanding memory performance that is achieved by supporting two-RDIMM-per-channel configurations at speeds up to 12% faster than the Intel specification, while still maintaining world-class reliability.
The System x3550 M5 integrates leadership security and reliability. System x Trusted Platform Assurance, an exclusive set of System x features and practices, establishes a solid security foundation for your workloads. Enterprise-class data protection is provided with optional self-encrypting drives, and advanced diagnostic tools facilitate reduced downtime and costs.
The System x3550 M5 is a cost- and density-balanced 1U, dual-socket business-critical server, offering improved performance and pay-as-you grow flexibility along with new features that improve server management capability. New, innovative, energy-smart design with powerful high-performance processors, a large capacity of high-performing DDR4 memory, and an improved feature set are ideal for business-critical applications and cloud deployments.
Combining balanced performance and flexibility, the System x3550 M5 is a great choice for small and medium businesses and up to the large enterprise. It can provide outstanding uptime to keep business-critical applications and cloud deployments running safely. Ease-of-use and comprehensive systems management tools make it easy to deploy. Outstanding reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS) and high-efficiency design improve your business environment and help save operational costs.
Scalability and performance
The System x3550 M5 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family with up to 22-core processors, up to 55 MB of cache, up to 2400 MHz memory speeds, and up to 9.6 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Support for up to two processors, 44 cores, and 88 threads allows to maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with energy efficient Intel Turbo Boost Technology allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Up to 2400 MHz memory speeds with two DIMMs per channel running at 2400 MHz to help maximize system performance.
- Up to 1.5 TB of memory capacity with 64 GB Load Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs)
- 12 Gbps serial-attached SCSI (SAS) internal storage connectivity doubles the data transfer rate compared to 6 Gb SAS solutions to maximize performance of storage I/O-intensive applications.
- Flexible and scalable internal storage configurations provide up to 92 TB of storage capacity with 7.68 TB 2.5-inch solid-state drives (SSDs) in a 1U rack form factor.
- The use of SSDs instead of or along with traditional spinning HDDs can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support a significantly higher number of I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- The server has four integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports and optional 10 Gb Ethernet ports with mezzanine LOM (ML2) adapters.
- The server offers up to four PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 I/O expansion slots in a dense 1U rack form factor.
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family. This helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
Availability and serviceability
The System x3550 M5 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as processors, memory DIMMs, and adapter cards.
- The server offers hot-swap drives supporting RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- The server offers redundant hot-swap power supplies and hot-swap redundant fans to provide availability for business-critical applications.
- The new next-gen light path diagnostics LCD display panel simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts): Processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, M.2 storage, flash storage adapters), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, and server ambient and sub-component temperatures. Alerts can be surfaced through the system IMM to managers such as Lenovo XClarity Administrator, VMware vCenter, and Microsoft System Center. These proactive alerts let you take appropriate actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability.
- SSDs offer significantly better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- Built-in Integrated Management Module II (IMM2.1) continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failure, to minimize downtime.
- Built-in diagnostics using Dynamic Systems Analysis (DSA) Preboot speed up troubleshooting to reduce service time.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the System x3550 M5 and deliver enterprise-class data protection:
- The server includes an Integrated Management Module II (IMM2.1) to monitor server availability and perform remote management.
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Lenovo XClarity Administrator offers comprehensive hardware management tools that help to increase uptime, reduce costs and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- An integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) supports the enablement of advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- System x Trusted Platform Assurance, an exclusive set of System x security features and practices, establishes a solid security foundation for workloads by delivering firmware that is securely built, tested, digitally signed, and verified prior to execution.
- The server offers enterprise-class data protection with optional self-encrypting drives.
- Industry-standard AES NI support offers faster, stronger encryption.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, protected from all other software running on a system.
The System x3550 M5 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- Energy-efficient planar components help lower operational costs.
- High-efficiency power supplies with 80 PLUS Platinum and Titanium certifications.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, to reduce power draw.
- Low-voltage Intel Xeon processors draw less energy to satisfy the demands of power and thermally constrained data centers and telecommunication environments.
- Low-voltage 1.2 V DDR4 memory DIMMs offer energy savings compared to 1.35 V and 1.5 V DDR3 DIMMs.
- The server uses hexagonal ventilation holes, a part of Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ technology. Hexagonal holes can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system.
- Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager provide advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management to help achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs.
Components and connectors
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with up to eight 2.5-inch drive bays and the Front IO cage Entry (default).
Figure 2. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 8x 2.5-inch drive bays; Front IO cage Entry (default)
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with up to eight 2.5-inch drive bays and the Front IO cage Standard (optional).
Figure 3. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 8x 2.5-inch drive bays; Front IO cage Standard (optional)
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with up to eight 2.5-inch drive bays and the Front IO cage Advanced (optional).
Figure 4. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 8x 2.5-inch drive bays; Front IO cage Advanced (optional)
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with ten 2.5-inch drive bays.
Figure 5. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 10x 2.5-inch drive bays
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with eight 2.5-inch SAS/SATA and two 2.5-inch PCIe drive bays.
Figure 6. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 8x 2.5-inch SAS/SATA + 2x PCIe drive bays
The following figure shows the front of the System x3550 M5 server with four 3.5-inch drive bays.
Figure 7. Front view of the System x3550 M5: 4x 3.5-inch drive bays
The following figure shows the rear of the System x3550 M5 server with three PCIe low profile slots.
Figure 8. Rear view of the System x3550 M5
The following figure shows the locations of key components inside the server.
Figure 9. Internal view of the System x3550 M5
|Disk Bays||Up to 10 front and two rear 2.5-inch HDDs or SSDs, or up to four 3.5-inch HDDs|
|Energy-Efficiency||80 PLUS®, ENERGY STAR® (model dependent); up to 40ºC operating temp; 2 fan zones with up to 8 fans|
|Expansion Slots||1 – 3 PCIe 3.0 slots and 1 dedicated RAID slot|
|Form Factor||1U rack-mount (Machine Type 8869)|
|Hot-Swap Components||Power supplies, fan modules and HDDs/SSDs|
|Maximum internal storage||Up to 46TB|
|Memory (max)||Up to 1.5TB – 2400MHz with 64GB TruDDR4 Memory LRDIMMs (RDIMM/LRDIMM)|
|Network Interface||1 x IMM and 4 × 1GbE (std.); optional 10/40GbE ML2 or PCIe adapter; Trusted Platform Module built-in|
|Operating Systems (OS) Supported||Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware vSphere - (optional USB Key or SD Media Adapter)|
|Power Supply (std/max)||1/2 redundant 550W AC, 750W AC, 900W AC, 1500W AC, 900W DC 80 PLUS Platinum and 750W AC 80 PLUS Titanium (model dependent)|
|Processor (Max)/Cache (max)||Up to two processors of the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family: Up to 22 cores (2.4 GHz core speeds) Up to 3.5 GHz core speeds (4 cores) Two QPI links up to 9.6 GT/s each Up to 55 MB cache Up to 2400 MHz memory speedUp to two processors of the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v3 product family (CTO only): Up to 14 cores with up to 2.6 GHz core speeds Two QPI links up to 9.6 GT/s each Up to 35 MB cache Up to 2133 MHz memory speed|
|RAID Support||12Gbps dedicated RAID slot with support for hardware RAID 0, 1, 10 with optional RAID 5, 50, 6, 60|
|USB Ports/VGA Ports||Up to 3 x USB 2.0 front, 2 x USB 3.0 rear, 1 x USB 2.0 internal/1 front (optional)/ 1 back|