Lenovo IBM RD650 Rack Server
The Lenovo® ThinkServer® RD650 is an enterprise class, 2U, two-socket server that features Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4 product family and supports up to 1.5 TB of DDR4 memory, 22 cores, and 44 threads per socket. With the capability to support mix and match internal hard disk drive (HDD) and solid-state drive (SSD) storage with up to 26x 2.5-inch drive bays, 40 Gbps integrated AnyFabric networking capability, up to six hot-swap dual rotor fans, hot-swap redundant power supplies, and a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet out-of-band management port, the ThinkServer RD650 provides leading features and capabilities.
Suggested uses: Server consolidation or virtualization, heavy web traffic workloads, data analytics, line-of-business applications.
The following figure shows the Lenovo ThinkServer RD650.
Figure 1. Lenovo ThinkServer RD650
Did you know?
Lenovo’s distinctive AnyFabric design provides a wide choice of 1 Gb and 10 Gb Ethernet adapters, 10 Gb converged network adapters (CNAs), and 8 Gb and 16 Gb Fibre Channel host bus adapters (HBAs) to address growing network and storage connectivity bandwidth requirements without the use of a PCIe slot.
This storage-rich server provides up to 192 TB of storage capacity and features an industry-unique Lenovo AnyBay design that allows multiple storage types in the same drive bay. M.2 and SD card options are available, which enable flexible boot drive choices.
The RD650 provides Lenovo AnyRAID technology, a midplane RAID adapter design that connects directly to the drive backplane without using a PCIe slot. A comprehensive portfolio of AnyRAID controllers is available for various applications, which include software RAID and RAID on Chip-based controllers.
The RD650 delivers impressive compute power per watt, featuring 80 PLUS Titanium and Platinum redundant power supplies. This server is designed to meet ASHRAE A4 standards, which enable customers to lower energy costs.
The RD650 provides outstanding memory performance by supporting two DIMMs per channel at speeds up to 12% faster than the Intel specification, while still maintaining world-class reliability.
With an efficient cooling design, the RD650 can run continuously at 45 °C with no impact on reliability.
The ThinkServer RD650 is a versatile 2U two-socket business-critical server that offers improved performance and pay-as-you-grow flexibility along with improved systems management capabilities. This powerful system is designed for your most important business applications and cloud deployments.
Combining balanced performance and flexibility, the RD650 server is a great choice for small and medium businesses up to the large enterprise. It can provide outstanding uptime to keep business-critical applications and cloud deployments running safely. Ease of use and comprehensive systems management tools help make deployment easier.
Scalability and performance
The ThinkServer RD650 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family with up to 22-core processors, up to 55 MB of L3 cache, and up to 9.6 GT/s QPI interconnect links.
- Support for up to two processors, 44 cores, and 88 threads allows to maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with energy efficient Intel Turbo Boost Technology allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Up to 2400 MHz memory speeds with two DIMMs per channel running at 2400 MHz to help maximize system performance.
- Up to 1.5 TB of memory capacity with 64 GB Load Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs).
- 12 Gbps serial-attached SCSI (SAS) internal storage connectivity doubles the data transfer rate compared to 6 Gb SAS solutions to maximize performance of storage I/O-intensive applications.
- Flexible and scalable internal storage configurations that feature an industry-unique Lenovo AnyBay™ design, which allows a choice of SAS, SATA or PCIe interface drives in the same bay, provide up to 192 TB of storage capacity in a 2U rack form factor.
- The use of SSDs instead of or along with traditional spinning HDDs can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support a significantly higher number of I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- The RD650 server offers up to eight PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 I/O expansion slots and an AnyFabric slot for a total of nine I/O slots in a 2U rack form factor.
- Leveraging the unique Lenovo AnyFabric design, the RD650 can house up to four 10 Gb Ethernet ports without taking up any of the available PCIe slots.
- The RD650 provides Lenovo AnyRAID® technology, which is a midplane RAID adapter that connects directly to the drive backplane without using a PCIe slot.
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 product family. This helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
Availability and serviceability
The ThinkServer RD650 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as processors, memory DIMMs, and adapter cards.
- The RD650 server offers memory mirroring and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- The RD650 server offers hot-swap drives supporting RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- The RD650 server offers redundant hot-swap power supplies and hot-swap redundant fans to provide availability for business-critical applications.
- SSDs offer significantly better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- Built-in ThinkServer System Manager (TSM) continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failure, to minimize downtime.
- Embedded Lenovo Diagnostics software speeds up troubleshooting to reduce service time.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the ThinkServer RD650 and deliver enterprise-class data protection:
- The server includes ThinkServer System Manager to monitor server availability and perform remote management.
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Lenovo XClarity Administrator offers comprehensive hardware management tools that help to increase uptime, reduce costs and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- An optional Trusted Platform Module (TPM) supports the enablement of advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and Windows BitLocker encryption.
- Embedded ThinkServer Deployment Manager (TDM) provides a complete set of provisioning capabilities from a single interface, which automates many of the tasks that are associated with server provisioning.
The ThinkServer RD650 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- Energy-efficient planar components help lower operational costs.
- High-efficiency power supplies with 80 PLUS Platinum and Titanium certifications.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, to reduce power draw.
- Low-voltage Intel Xeon processors draw less energy to satisfy the demands of power and thermally constrained data centers and telecommunication environments.
- Low-voltage 1.2 V DDR4 memory DIMMs offer energy savings compared to 1.35 V and 1.5 V DDR3 DIMMs.
- System power profiles can be configured in UEFI to optimize usage for maximum performance or energy efficiency.
- Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager provide advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management to help achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs.
Components and connectors
The following figure shows the front of the RD650 3.5-inch drive bay models.
Figure 2. RD650 3.5-inch drive bay model front view
The following figure shows the front of the RD650 8x 2.5-inch drive bay models.
Figure 3. RD650 8x 2.5-inch drive bay model front view
The following figure shows the front of the RD650 16x 2.5-inch drive bay models.
Figure 4. RD650 16x 2.5-inch drive bay model front view
The following figure shows the front of the RD650 24x 2.5-inch drive bay models.
Figure 5. RD650 24x 2.5-inch drive bay model front view
The following figure shows the front of the RD650 hybrid 2.5-inch + 3.5-inch drive bay models.
Figure 6. RD650 hybrid 2.5-inch + 3.5-inch drive bay model front view
The following figure shows the rear of the RD650 server.
Figure 7. RD650 rear view
The following figure shows the internal components of the RD650 server.
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||(482 mm x 87 mm x 764 mm) or (19.0" x 3.4" x 30.1")|
|Disk Bays||Up to 12 x 3.5" front + up to 2 x 2.5" rear (rear drives SATA only) or up to 24 x 2.5" front + up to 2 x 2.5" rear(*) or up to 9 x 3.5" front + up to 6 x 2.5" front + up to 2 x 2.5" rear (rear drives SATA only)|
|Energy Efficiency||Up to 45ºC, operating temperature (ASHRAE 4 Compliant); Redundant hot-swap fans with 1 processor or 6 redundant hot-swap fans with 2 processors|
|Expansion Slots||1CPU: 3x PCIe 3.0 FH/HL x8, 1x AnyFabric; 2CPU: As 1CPU plus 3xPCIe 3.0 LP x8, 2x PCIe 3.0 FH/HL x8|
|Maximum internal storage||Up to 100TB|
|Media Bays||1 x slim optical (in select 2.5" chassis configurations)|
|Memory||Up to 1.5TB DDR4 - 2400 MHz via 24 slots (RDIMM/LRDIMM)|
|Network Interface||1 x Integrated Gb Ethernet (Dedicated mgmt port); 1 x AnyFabric slot with choice of Ethernet NIC, Fibre Channel HBA or CNA|
|Operating Systems Supported||Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 (Including Hyper-V) Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Including Hyper-V) SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 U2 and 6.0|
|Power supply||Redundant hot-swap 550W/750W/1100W (80 PLUS Platinum), 110V to 240V AC input, HVDC Ready, 750W (80 PLUS Titanium), 200V to 240V AC input 1600W (80 PLUS Platinum), 200V to 240V AC input|
|Processor (Max)/Cache (max)||Up to two 22-core Intel® Xeon® processors E5-2600 v4 Series/Up to 55MB per processor|
|Systems Management||Lenovo XClarity Administrator with mobile option; Lenovo XClarity Pro software bundle; ThinkServer System Manager; ThinkServer System Manager Premium; Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager|
|USB Ports/VGA Ports||2x USB 2.0 front, 2x USB 3.0 rear, /1 front, 1 rear|
|Weight||Starting at (16.0 kg) or (35.3 lbs)|