Lenovo IBM System x3630 M4
The System x3630 M4 server offers a cost-effective high-capacity storage solution with exceptional energy-smart design, leadership virtualization, and powerful systems management. It supports up to two eight-core Intel Xeon processors and high-density memory designs with twelve DDR3 DIMM slots. This 2U server consolidates storage and server into one system, offers easy management, and saves floor space and power consumption, costing less money than traditional enterprise offerings. Designed with redundancy, flexible subsystems, and a wider range of configuration options, the x3630 M4 also offers an innovative Feature on Demand (FoD) design for an easier upgrade path.
Suggested use: Collaboration/email applications, light databases, virtualization/cloud, virtual desktops, web serving, and virtual storage.
The following figure shows the System x3630 M4.
System x advancements in scalability, reliability, and performance can help your business innovate and thrive. With more flexible configuration options, energy-efficient components, and robust systems management tools, the x3630 M4 can deliver business value over the long term.
Scalability and performance
The x3630 M4 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- The Intel Xeon processor E5-2400 product family improves productivity by offering affordable dual-socket system performance with eight-core processors with up to 2.3 GHz core speeds, up to 20 MB of L3 cache, and one QPI interconnect link of up to 8 GTps.
- Up to two processors, 16 cores, and 32 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) improve floating point performance for compute-intensive technical and scientific applications.
- Up to 384 GB of memory capacity via 12 DIMM slots with 32 GB LRDIMMs.
- Up to 1600 MHz memory speeds with two DIMMs per channel running at 1600 MHz to help maximize system performance.
- The server offers up to four integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports with convenient Feature on Demand upgrade process that does not require the purchasing of an additional hardware.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E5 family. This controller helps to reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Up to fourteen 3.5-inch hot-swap drive bays provide maximum internal storage density of up to 56 TB in a 2U form factor.
Availability and serviceability
The x3630 M4 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The server offers Chipkill, memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure to prevent an unplanned outage.
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as processor, memory, and adapter cards.
- The server offers simple-swap or hot-swap drives supporting affordable software RAID and advanced hardware RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- The server offers up to two redundant hot-swap power supplies and three dual-motor non-hot-swap redundant fans to provide cost-efficient availability for applications.
- The light path diagnostics panel and optional individual light path LEDs quickly lead the technician to failed (or failing) components. This panel simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA) detects when system components (processors, memory, hard disk drives, fans, and power supplies) operate outside of standard thresholds and generates proactive alerts in advance of a possible failure, therefore increasing uptime.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) offer significantly better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- The built-in Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failure, to minimize downtime.
- Built-in diagnostics using Dynamic Systems Analysis (DSA) Preboot speeds up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- Three-year customer replaceable unit and on-site limited warranty, next business day 9x5. Optional service upgrades available.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the x3630 M4:
- The server includes an Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) to monitor server availability and perform remote management.
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) V1.2 support enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- IBM Systems Director offers comprehensive systems management tools that help increase uptime, reduce costs, and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- Industry-standard AES NI support provides faster and stronger encryption.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space protected from all other software running on a system.
The x3630 M4 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- Energy-efficient planar components help lower operational costs.
- 80 PLUS Platinum certified power supplies enable greater energy savings while providing flexibility to meet your business needs.
- The Intel Xeon processor E5-2400 product family offers better performance over the previous generation, while fitting into the same TDP limits.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, to reduce power draw.
- Low-voltage Intel Xeon processors draw less energy to satisfy the demands of power and thermally constrained data centers and telecommunication environments.
- Low-voltage 1.35 V DDR3 RDIMMs consume 19% less energy compared to 1.5 V DDR3 RDIMMs.
- Solid state drives (SSDs) consume less power than traditional spinning HDDs.
- The server uses hexagonal ventilation holes, a part of Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ technology, that can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow.
- IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager™ provides advanced data center power notification and management to help achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs.
Components and connectors
The following figure shows the front of the server with eight 3.5-inch drive bays.
The following figure shows the front of the server with twelve 3.5-inch drive bays.
The following figure shows the rear of the server without the optional rear HDD cage upgrade.
The following shows the rear of the server with the optional rear HDD cage upgrade.
The following figure shows the locations of key components inside the server.
|4, 8 x 3.5-inch/SSD simple-swap SATA HDDs or 8 x 3.5-inch/SSD hot-swap SAS/SATA HDDs +tape (value model), 12+2x 3.5-inch/SSD hot-swap (storage-rich model)
|2 - 4 x8 PCIe slots +x4 slotless RAID
|Power supplies, hard disk drives
|Maximum internal storage
|Up to 32 TB disk (value model), up to 56 TB (storage-rich model)
|Up to 384 GB DDR-3 LRDIMM memory via 12 DIMM slots
|Intel Ethernet Controller I350 Dual 1Gb on board + Intel I-350 Embedded Dual Port GbE Activation for IBM System x Feature on Demand (FoD)
|Number of processors
|Operating Systems Supported
|Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux, VMware
|Up to two 550 W/750 W/750 DC/900 W 80 PLUS certified PSU
|2-, 4-, 6-, 8, 10-core Intel Xeon processor E5-2400 v2 product family, up to 1600 MHz memory access speed
|Integrated 3 Gbps software RAID-0, -1, -10 for value entry model; optional hardware RAID-0, -1, -10 or RAID-5, -50 or -6, -60
|Systems Director, IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager, IMM (Integrated Management Module) with IPMI 2.0 support, UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface), IBM ToolsCenter, status LEDs
|3-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty, next business day 9x5, service upgrades available