PowerEdge R740 Rack Server
General-purpose workhorse optimized for workload acceleration
Maximize your application performance with the PowerEdge R740 server, which brings you the perfect balance of accelerator cards, storage and compute resources in a 2U, 2-socket platform. With up to three 300W accelerator cards or six 150W cards, the R740 has the versatility to adapt to virtually any application and provides the optimum platform for VDI deployments. The R740 offers up to 16 x 2.5” or 8 x 3.5” drives and iDRAC9, so you can scale to meet demands and simplify the entire IT lifecycle.
- Private cloud
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning
Achieve IT transformation with the Dell EMC PowerEdge portfolio
The R740 is a general-purpose workhorse optimized for workload acceleration. With its versatility, the R740 can help you transform your data center for VDI, artificial intelligence and software-defined storage (SDS).
- Simplify and accelerate VMware vSAN™ deployments with validated, pre-bundled and tailored Ready Nodes.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, delivering a 27% increase in processing cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over previous generation of Xeon processors.*
- Scale your VDI deployments with 3 double-width GPUs, supporting up to 50% more users when compared to R730.*
- Free up storage space using internal M.2 SSDs optimized for boot.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded management
Dell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%.*
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Help improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protection
Dell EMC provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.
|Chassis||Optional LCD or Security bezel|
|Dimensions||Form factor: Rack (2U)Chassis depth: 715.5 mm|
|Drive Bays||Front drive bays: Up to 16 x 2.5” SAS/SATA/SSD, max 60TB Up to 8 x 3.5” SAS/SATA, max 96TB|
|I/O (Input/Output) Ports||Network daughter card options: 4 x 1GE or 2 x 10GE + 2 x 1GE or 4 x 10GE or 2 x 25GEFront ports: Video, 2 x USB 2.0, available USB 3.0, dedicated IDRACDirect Micro-USB Rear ports: Video, serial, 2 x USB 3.0, dedicated iDRAC network portVideo card: VGAPCIe: Up to 8 x Gen3 slots, Up to 4 x16|
|Operating System||Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS Citrix® XenServer® Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V Red Hat® Enterprise Linux SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server VMware® ESXi|
|Power||Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W, 1100W, 1600W, and 2000W 48VDC 1100W, 380HVDC 1100W, 240HVDC 750W (China/Japan) Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy Up to 6 hot plugs fans with full redundancy High performance fans available|
|Processor||Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor|
|Storage Controller||Internal controllers: PERC H330, H730p, H740p, Software RAID (SWRAID) S140Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem: HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GBExternal PERC (RAID): H84012Gbps SAS HBAs (non-RAID): External- 12Gbps SAS HBA (non-RAID) Internal- HBA330 (non-RAID)|